The following criteria must be used to determine if an individual is eligible to participate in Pre-employment Supports. The individual must be:
- A new or existing Income Assistance client or their dependent and;
- A minimum of 18 years of age (or 19, where 19 is the age of majority)
- An Income Assistance client between 16-18 years old, who has emancipated from their parents/legal guardian(s).
- Meets the definition of ‘Expected to Work’ by the reference province or Yukon
Case Management and Pre-Employment Supports consist of a continuum of activities and services aimed at enhancing a client’s participation in the labour market and improving their quality of life. By supporting clients to build on their strengths, further develop their skills and address their barriers to participation in the labour market, these supports are expected to benefit individuals as they move from Income Assistance to employment or education.
A collaborative approach, involving Income Assistance administrators, intake workers and caseworkers, should be used for developing and implementing a Case Management process that includes the following elements:
- Client intake process;
- Pre-Employment Supports Assessment of all potentially eligible Pre-Employment Supports participants
- Developing and implementing individual Action Plans for Pre-employment Supports participants; and,
- Supporting the client’s progress through consistent monitoring and follow-up.