The original members of Pine Creek First Nation were of Saulteaux descent and hailed from the Ontario Lake Superior area of Sault Ste. Marie. The name “Saulteaux” is derived from the French language meaning “people of the rapids”; they are also formally recognized as Plains Ojibwe or Anishinaabe.
Pine Creek First Nation made their home along the southwestern shore of Lake Winnipegosis, approximately 110 kilometers north of present Dauphin, Manitoba. A plentiful supply of freshwater fish, waterfowl and wild game guaranteed their survival.
Pine Creek First Nation is signatory to Treaty #4, also known as the “Qu’Appelle Treaty”. The treaty was constituted on September 14, 1874, comprising of 13 separate Saulteaux and Cree Nations, with additional Nations signing thereafter. There are presently 36 distinct Nations attributed to Treaty #4, covering most of Southern Saskatchewan and partial areas of southern Alberta and western Manitoba.
Pine Creek First Nation is located on the southwestern shore of the 5,374 square kilometer Lake Winnipegosis in Manitoba. Covering an area of 8,111.7 hectares, the Nation is approximately 100 kilometers north of Dauphin, situated between the communities of Camperville and Duck Bay.
Affiliated with the West Region Tribal Council, Pine Creek First Nation is signed to Treaty #4, with a registered membership of 3170; approximately 1200 members live on reserve land.